About the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery
The Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery was built on the existing site in 1977 using recycled water technology - one of the first recycle systems in hatcheries. Water for the facility is supplied by four wells which draw water from the Abbotsford aquifer. In 2014 the hatchery is undergoing an upgrade.
The hatchery releases approximately 860,000 fish, including catchable sized rainbow trout and steelhead trout, into 150 lakes and streams throughout B.C. each year.
The Visitor Centre is open for drop in visitors Tuesday to Saturday from 10 am - 3 pm.
PLEASE NOTE: The Visitor Centre will be closed between September 14th and 18th for renovations.
Pre-registration is required for Learn to Fish and all other programs.
Sign up for Learn to Fish, book a fishing birthday party or register for an educational field trip, at our indoor/ outdoor facility. Call or email the Visitor Centre for more information or to book a program.
Visitor Centre E: email@example.com
School Programs - Field Trips
A visit to the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery is a one-of-a-kind learning experience for students and teachers alike. Whichever program you chose, our interpreters will tailor your visit to your group’s age and interests. Learn more about our field trip programs.
Learn to Fish
In addition to the off-site programs available each spring and summer across B.C., children and adults can Learn to Fish at the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery pond. For more information about our Learn to Fish program.
- $10 per participant or $100 per class (maximum 30 students)
- On-site programs are 3 - 4 hours long
- Available to families, adults, and organized groups including schools, boys and girls clubs and groups with disabilities or special needs
- Learn where, when and how to catch fish, including: fish identification and biology, habitats and conservation, knot-tying, casting and retrieving, proper fish handling and ethics, safety and fishing regulations
Fishing Birthday Parties
For a birthday party that really takes the cake, come fishing! Our parties include a guided tour of the hatchery, hands-on fishing instruction at our stocked ponds, all the tackle you’ll need, and much more.
- $200 for a maximum of 15 children
- 2.5 hours
- Available year round
- Fishing rod gift for the birthday child (FREE)
- Decorated party room
- We provide cups, plates, cutlery, napkins, and fishing equipment (bbq available)
- Please provide your own food, cake and candles